Thursday, January 8, 2009

5 Ways to Be Happy Right Now


Happiness Comes From the Inside, 5 Ways to Be Happy Right Now
By [http://ezinearticles.com/?expert=Keith_Callister]Keith Callister

What does it take to be happy?

This is question that many many people find themselves asking, and as we ramble through this journey called life we may need a little help to keep that smile on our face and that spring in our step. More than once I have asked myself what it takes to be happy and in all my searching I have found a few distinct truths that come alive and as simple as they may seem offer an opportunity to be happy with yourself all the time, even when the chips are down.

Here are 5 simple ways to get happy right now, and to stay that way, these aren't pump you up sorts of techniques, but they are real things you can do to change how you feel and make you feel much happier;

1-Do something nice for someone else

This is one of the fastest most effective ways to get happy fast, go out and do something kind for someone else, it can be as simple as giving a compliment or taking someone to lunch, or even stopping your car and helping that person on the side of the road. Service to others helps us remember that there are people everywhere have a need for something that you have got, and feeling needed is important to so many people.

2- Change your posture

This may seem a little ridiculous at first, but this has been one of the best ways for me to go from stress to happiness quickly, sit up straight, take a deep breath in and put a big old goofy smile on your face, you can literally feel the tension that is in your chest melt away, and it is replaced with a sense of well being and dare I say confidence that you can get through anything.

3- Read a good book, or even a few pages of something positive

If you are a religious person, turn to whatever religious text helps you to see things in a good way, two of my favorite passages come from The Bible, one is found in Proverbs 16:20 and reads "...whoso trusteth in the LORD, happy is he." And the other is found in Psalms 46:10 and says "Be still and know that I am God" These 2 short sayings help me know that I have a greater purpose, and that I am meant to be happy, not miserable. If you are not a believer in any religious texts I would suggest finding something that brings you peace of mind.

4- Tell someone that you love them

Now this may fall into the service category, but I think it merits its own section, think of someone you love, someone that you haven't told in a while that you love them. Give them a call, write them a letter, or go visit them and say the words "I Love You." The key point is to say those exact words, don't try and say anything else, just simply "I Love You." It's a little uncomfortable for a lot of people at first, but it will warm your heart immediately and help you feel happy.

5- Remember that happiness is first

This may seem the strange part, but often people will put qualifiers in front of what will make them feel happy, people will say things like, "when I get that promotion, I'll be happy" or "when I find my soul mate, Then I'll be happy" but that is not how it works at all. Happiness starts inside of you and then radiates out to the things that you do, a bold statement I often make to people is, "there is nothing in the world outside of you that can make you happy or sad." All that I mean by that is that you choose each moment of each day how you will respond to your life, and certainly you have the ability to choose happiness of all the negative emotions you often find yourself burdened down with. You have the ability to choose happiness and peace instead of anguish, it's a very simple concept that can seem very difficult, but give it a try, just try to choose happiness.

We are not powerless, we have the ability to master all of our emotions and that includes choosing happiness, you really have nothing to lose and everything to gain, why not give happiness a try?

Keith Callister Self Improvement Coach
Visit my blog at http://winningedge.wordpress.com

Free weekly self improvement articles and essays!

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Keith_Callister http://EzineArticles.com/?Happiness-Comes-From-the-Inside,-5-Ways-to-Be-Happy-Right-Now&id=1836140

No comments:

Post a Comment